A binman, who suffered an extensive eye injury when a hydraulic cable on his garbage truck split and sprayed its contents into his face, is to receive compensation for a workplace burn injury after his claim was heard in the Circuit Civil Court.
Kamil Kozlowski (30) was working in the Sandyford Road in Dublin in July 2011 when a hydraulic cable on the back of the garbage truck he was emptying bins into burst, spraying hot oil into his eyes.
An ambulance was immediately summoned, and Kamil received first aid at the scene for the burns he had received, before being taken to the Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital where the oil was rinsed out of his eyes and Kamil was prescribed a course of eye drops.
Kamil´s initial fears that he would be permanently blinded were fortunately unfounded, but he suffered for a month from the pain ofhis burn injury and was unable to drive until his vision fully recovered.
After seeking legal advice, Kamil – from Part West Point in Dublin – made a claim for compensation for a workplace burn injury against his employers, alleging that they had not maintained the garbage truck in a safe condition and were in breach of their duty of care.
Kamil´s employers – Panda Waste Services Ltd of Navan, County Meath – admitted their liability for his injury, but no agreement could be reached about how much compensation for the workplace burn injury Kamil was entitled to.
Eventually, the claim was resolved at the Circuit Civil Court in front of Judge Alison Lindsay who, after hearing the circumstances of Kamil´s accident and injury, awarded him €15,565 in compensation.